America’s Top Ten Happiest Companies
Here’s a novel concept – happiness at work. Traditionally, companies never thought happiness had anything to do with the workplace. But, more employers are slowly starting to see that keeping a workforce happy can have a positive impact on their company’s overall performance and even bottom line. Since the majority of us spend most of our week working, finding happiness at work can be essential to our well-being. Recently CareerBliss, an online resource devoted to helping people find happiness in their workplace, released its fourth list of the 50 happiest companies in America. For #2 and Disney ranked #23. Florida did not rank well, however, in the happiest cities department. For two years, Pfzier Pharmaceuticals has topped the list. So how did Florida fare? In 2013 NASA ranked matter of fact not one city in our state made it – rather, Orlando, Tampa and Miami were ranked respectively #2, 6 and 9 as the most Unhappiest Cities to Work*. Ouch!
Wonder what you can do to make your office a happier place? Although I can’t do much about the particular job, I can offer these 5 tips…. followed by a big dose of smiles and a genuinely helpful and kind attitude toward fellow workers.
- Lighten it Up: It might be hard to move your desk if it’s been allocated to you, but do your best to fill your workspace with natural light. A good dose of sunlight will give you a good dose of vitamin D, the happy vitamin!
- Dress it Up: Photos of family and friends instantly brighten up any workspace. Surround yourself with images that make you smile as well as places you’ve been that you enjoyed.
- Green it Up: Let a bit of nature into the office. According to researchers having plants in the office helps to reduce stress levels, clean the air and even improve concentration and increase productivity. Aside from all that having a plant to water everyday gives you something to look after and something to feel proud of as you watch it grow over the days and weeks.
- Clean it Up: Is your workspace clean and tidy? A cluttered workspace leads to a cluttered mind. Put work to be done in logical piles and when it’s completed file it away immediately to avoid a filling backlog. If you keep your workspace tidy you will find that you are more productive simply because you have space to complete tasks. That’s has to make you a little bit happy!
- Break it Up: Are you the type of person who works through breaks and takes lunch at their desk? It’s got to stop! Make time to walk away from your desk to make a cup of tea, get a glass of water or eat your lunch. Moving around your office will keep you comfortable in the space, and getting away from your desk regularly will stop you from going stir crazy.
* Methodology: The CareerBliss data evaluates the key factors which affect work happiness, including: one’s relationship with their boss and co-workers, their work environment, job resources, compensation, growth opportunities, company culture, company reputation, their daily tasks, and job control over the work that they do on a daily basis. The data accounts for how an employee values each factor as well as how important that factor is to the employee’s overall happiness. Each review is given an average score indicating where the company places between one and five. For the complete list of workplaces and cities, go to CareerBliss.com