In the 1920’s, the area we now know as Bahama Shores was known as Alta Marina. B. F. Stephenson developed it from 56th Ave. S. to Knox Ave. S. (what was to become Bahama Shores Dr. S.). Mr. Stephenson built two homes initially. The first home was on the corner of 3rd St. and 63rd Ave. S. The second was on the southwest corner of 3rd St. and 62nd Ave. S. At this stage in the neighborhood’s history, the waves of Tampa Bay lapped at the back yards of these homes. The bus line started service to the neighborhood in 1927.
In the mid-eighties, the movie “Cocoon” was shot in St. Petersburg. The nursing home scenes were filmed at Sunny Shores Villas (presently Westminster Shores). The tour boat “Captain Anderson” would make a regular stop just off Bahama Shores to point out where the movie had been filmed. Bahama Shores remains an idyllic community with large homes, spacious tree-lined streets and a wide range of residents from young professionals to families to retirees.