Allendale Terrace is a highly desirable neighborhood known for its giant oak trees, large estate homes (built mostly in the 1920s and 1930s), cobblestone streets and Allendale Park. Its boundaries are 34th to 42nd Avenues North from 7th to M.L. King (9th) Streets North plus the area between 34th and 38th Avenues North from M.L. King (9th) Street to Haines Road. It is known for being on high ground – outside the flood zone – and is considered by many to be the finest non-waterfront area of St. Petersburg.
Locals trace the inception of the neighborhood to the hurricanes of the 1920’s when hundreds of St. Petersburg’s residents were injured. Coastal living fell out of vogue and residents wanted high and dry land. Cade B. Allen (Allendale) purchased 160 acres and began building the tree lined, elegant neighborhood we know today. Seventy-four of the homes were built before World War II, over 180 were built in the 1960’s, and 50 homes have been built since. As you might imagine, architecture styles are all over the map but all construction is elegant. Homes in Allendale still have relatively large tracts of land and privacy.