I recently had occasion to discover Keep Saint Petersburg Local, an affiliate of the American Independent Business Alliance. It was launched on November 19, 2011 (known as America Unchained Day) by a group of local, independent business owners and concerned citizens who recognize and appreciate the unique character of our city.
The mission of the nonprofit is to build a thriving local economy and a unique community by nurturing connections for and acting as the voice of locally-owned, independent businesses and by raising awareness of the importance of buying local.
Their community goals strive to:
- Increase community awareness of the value of doing business with locally-owned, independent businesses;
- Build recognition of the Keep Saint Petersburg Local brand to help the community identify independently-owned businesses in Saint Petersburg; and
- Support local non-profit organizations that provide service and goodwill to our community.
Their overall values for members and community include:
- Success for the independent, local business community;
- Community involvement for Keep Saint Petersburg Local and its members;
- Collaboration with members and other community organizations;
- Prosperity for the City of Saint Petersburg and its citizens; and
- Diversity in its membership and affiliations.
If you would like to learn more about Keep Saint Petersburg Local, check out their website (www.keepsaintpetersburglocal.org) where you’ll find membership opportunities, a host of lively, interesting events and job postings from member businesses.
Home Sweet Home: The New American Localism: NPR. www.npr.org
American Independent Business Alliance: www.amiba.net