Non-Profit Spotlight… St. Petersburg Preservation
Since 1977 St. Petersburg Preservation has been working to secure the preservation, rehabilitation, restoration, maintenance, and/or acquisition of important natural, scenic, historic, and architectural sites and structures. Incorporated as a 501(c) 3 organization it is comprised of an all-volunteer board of directors and one paid staff member.
Its mission is to:
- Educate the public about local historic architectural resources;
- Landmark or assist in the land marking of deserving sites and structures; and
- Preserve sites and structures previously landmarked.
The organization accomplishes their mission by working with city, county, businesses, and individuals to identify historic districts and sites, landmark significant structures, and foster appreciation of St. Petersburg’s historic environment. The overarching goal is to instill in St. Pete’s citizens an appreciation of their shared heritage and culture and how this contributes to quality of life and economic success.
Programs & Events:
- Public Forums
- Walking Tours
- Porch Parties
- Music & Movies in the Park
For a complete description of each program and calendar of events, please contact St. Petersburg Preservation’s info line: (727.824.7802).
Of particular interest to me as a realtor are the Preservation Awards. The awards are announced at an awards ceremony conducted every other year (even numbered years). The next round of awards will be in 2014 with nominations being accepted during the summer of 2014.
The Preservation Awards recognize the people, associations, and businesses helping save the landmark buildings and places that make St. Petersburg special. Award nominations can be made by historic building owners, neighbors, neighborhood associations or other groups.
2012 St. Petersburg Preservation Award Winners
- Residential Rehabilitation: Maureen Stafford, 756 Bay Street NE.
- Commercial Rehabilitation: Saunders Construction, Mecca Apartments, 916 1st St. N.
- Adaptive Reuse: Constance Coleman, 2091 1st Ave N.
- Residential Stewardship: Rothman Residence, 1018 Park Street
- Residential Stewardship, Honorable Mention: Flori de Leon Apartments
- Preservationists of the year: Lynn Jeffery & Bob Jeffrey
To learn more about St. Petersburg Preservation, to volunteer or donate…. Please visit their website at www.stpetepreservation.org
- “A Guide to the Historic Sites and Architecture of St. Petersburg,” an illustrated guide to the historic architecture of the city by Ken Breslauer
- Souvenir of St. Petersburg – Views from the Vinoy, an 80-page, full color book featuring a highly visual and interactive approach to history, architecture, preservation, culture and community development.
- St. Petersburg, Florida: A Visual History by A. Wynelle Dees
- Tampa Bay Times, June 13, 2014 – “A Wee Nod to Historic Status – Lang’s Bungalow Court”